Black Bean Recipe
I like to prepare about a gallon at a time and freeze week-sized batches
- Soak dry, raw black beans overnight…they really swell up, so use 10 parts water to one part beans. Start with a couple of cups of dry beans to get a sense of it. You can use canned beans, but I don’t like them due to the BPA in the plastic coating of metal cans. The BPA leaches into the food.
- Rinse at least 6 times to remove the gassy sugars…or don’t, and make it exciting for everyone around you.
- Boil beans in just enough water to cover them until tender—about 90 minutes. Add water periodically as needed. I like to boil mine at a low setting for a few hours to make them super tender.
- Add salt, cumin, turmeric, parsley, onion, garlic, red pepper, etc to taste (make it you your own—you have to eat it). I add flax seeds and chia seeds to bump up the Omega 3 Fatty Acids. I can’t stress enough that you should use some turmeric…it is a super-potent antioxidant.
- Puree, mash, or leave them alone. I use an immersion blender/stick blender to get a smooth consistency.